Wednesday, 3 July 2013

the big two-one




Ten days ago saw the passing of my twenty-first birthday. I wasn't interested in marking the occasion with a party; and instead spent the day with my boyfriend and a handful of relatives plus a couple of other dinner meetings with friends in the weeks that followed. There's nothing more mortifying to me than being sung happy birthday to so this suits me fine. While I don't feel any different being a year older, recent events and decisions have left me feeling more confident and ready for what this year will bring. I've decided to stay in Ireland to finish my degree - a dilemma that had been plaguing me for months, and I've never felt more relieved to come to a decision. I've been meeting with old friends, working harder and more often and making an effort to be sociable. It's hard and my laziness/social reluctance gets in the way sometimes but I'm feeling a lot more confident recently. I'm taking the plunge to start a half-sleeve tattoo and I'm going to make a big change to my hair. I'm feeling good and it took a birthday and a little push to realise that maybe the people in my life don't hate me as much as I think they do.

I'm so grateful to my friends, family and boyfriend for the last few weeks. The main gift I received was an iPhone 5 (!!!) and I cannot put into words how lucky I feel. An iPhone has been at the top of my wishlist for years but I never dreamed I'd actually have one, it was the biggest surprise I've ever gotten. It's become my baby and I've hardly put it down since I got it. I've been addicted to Instagram since having a proper camera to use it with, so follow me for gratuitous selfies and photos of Vanilla Coke! @serenaelliott

Since payday and my birthday fell within a week of each other, my shopping habits have spiralled out of control. I've been feeling a little reckless with money but I'm over the moon with my new purchases. I bought some much needed new clothes including some cute dresses (1 & 2), some amazing tshirts in the Urban Outfitters sale, some basics (34 and a H&M jersey dress) as well as killer new boots. I also bought some new makeup including my new favourite red lipstick, the Bobbi Brown corrector (Porcelain Bisque), MAC Studio Fix Fluid (NW10), a blueberry-scented nail polish and a new face mask.

I hope you've all been having a good summer so far - if you've been shopping lately let me know what you've bought! Or don't, as if I need any more temptation...

2 comments:

  1. Happy belated birthday, Serena! I'm glad you had a great day and it looks like you got absolutely spoiled! I'm dying for the iPhone 5, but unfortunately, I have to wait until my contract expires in November. I hate waiting! Haha. Those boots are absolutely stunning as is the red lipstick! I love Topshop lipsticks and bought myself Nevada today. :)

    So no Paris anymore? That would've been amazing, but you have to do whatever makes you happy. I'm glad you're feeling more confident in yourself, but sometimes you do need good friends to help you along and you need to be surrounded by love. It's all about your attitude and I think if you make an effort, others do too. I know I definitely wouldn't be where I am today if it weren't for the great people in my life. I'm so excited for your new hair and tattoos! I can't wait to see them!

    http://vintagemachine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm a sucker for the Topshop lipsticks and the packaging is gorgeous, you NEED to try Screen Siren!
      yeah, I decided to just finish the last year of my degree and maybe go to Paris after I'm done with university. It was just upsetting/stressing me too much, the idea of leaving everyone and I just knew I wasn't ready to do it. It's even more scary to go into my third year totally unprepared but I'd rather get that out of the way first. Thank you so much for your lovely comment and all of your support <3 xx

      Delete

please feel free to leave a comment as I would love your feedback! don't forget to check back for a reply! you can also contact me on twitter @serenaelliott