Sunday, 22 July 2012

sunday skin saviours



(L-R: Lush Bubblegum lip scrub, Avène Rich Skin Recovery Cream, Caudalie Beauty Elixir, Boots Botanics facial oil, Sanctuary 5 Minute Thermal Detox Mask, Nuxe Rêve de Miel lip balm, Lush Dark Angels, Boots Botanics Hot Cloth Cleansing Balm)

I'm not a big drinker and the main reason for that is how it makes me feel for the days following a particularly indulgent night out. It was my boyfriends birthday last week so Friday saw the whole family hitting a local restaurant/pub for a three course meal and an alcohol-heavy night - though not before a very necessary trip to the cinema (I wasn't waiting any later than the release date to see The Dark Knight Rises!)

A few too many Morgan Spice's mixed with salty food and a higher pollen count than usual meaning I woke up on Saturday morning with my skin dehydrated as well as chapped and raw in places after much sneezing and nose-blowing. I spent most of yesterday in a fast food induced coma so skincare wasn't high on the agenda and I'm really feeling the repercussions today. I always love Anna's 'Weekend Posts' where she discusses weekend pampering treatments so I thought I'd share the routine I'll be partaking in this evening to get my skin on the road to recovery.

First and foremost I'll cleanse. My skin is drier than usual so I'll be using the Boots Botanics balm cleanser I raved about in my hot cloth cleanser post. Next, a good exfoliation is in order and while my Clarisonic is in the post (squeee!!!) I'm using the Lush Dark Angels cleansing facial scrub. It's quite harsh which makes it perfect for giving the deep cleanse and exfoliation needed after a weekend of skincare negligence.

After this I'll pat my skin until it's slightly damp and then smooth a thin layer of this Sanctuary charcoal mask over my face. I'll occupy myself for the five minutes recommended time by giving my lips a good scrub with my favourite Lush lip scrub and then slathering on the Nuxe Rêve de Miel lip balm - Estée has done a great review on this amazing lip balm if you want to know more.

When my five minutes are up I will wash the mask away, pat my skin dry and spritz with the Caudalie Beauty Elixir. Another product with a massive following because of that Lisa Eldridge video, it's perfect for this Sunday routine as it's soothing and refreshing and smells amazing!

The Avène Rich Skin Recovery Cream is perfect for soothing my currently chapped skin and this is the next step in my routine. I'll concentrate this on areas which need it - mainly around the corners of my nose - and allow it to skin in for about five minutes before my next step; facial oil. This 100% organic one from Botanics is the first one I've tried and it's really reasonably priced at €14.99. I'll massage this all over my face using my fingers and the deep hydration it gives is amazing. It has the same herbally scent as the balm cleanser which I'm assuming comes from the 'nourishing rosehip' which they both contain.

After this (perhaps excessive) routine I'm hoping my skin will look a lot brighter and feel soothed and recovered. There's nothing I hate more than my skin feeling dry so to me these steps are all very necessary! Once again I apologise for the lengthy post! If you want any more detail on a particular product please let me know as I'd love to start doing individual product reviews!
Do you have a Sunday skincare routine or any products you use to help your skin recover after a night out? Please do share! Also - if you've seen The Dark Knight Rises let me know, I'm a massive fan of Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy and I couldn't contain my excitement at seeing the final instalment on Friday! I thought it was absolutely flawless and I'm going to see it again tomorrow! What did you think if you've seen it? xx

12 comments:

  1. lovely post! I actually haven´t tried any of these products :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! awh you should definitely try them if you get a chance! x

      Delete
  2. Ugh I try not to drink too often for the same reason. The first thing I do on the morning after a heavy night is wash my face and moisturise it properly. Most of the time I wake up with half my makeup from the night before still plastered all over my face so it's pretty essential! Haha. I've tried the Sancutary mask before and it's looovely, my skin always feels refreshed after x

    just-a-thought-natalie.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's just not worth the effects it has! I love the Sanctuary mask, it's bizarre how it heats up! xx

      Delete
  3. I hate how dry my skin is the morning after the night before! Will have to give these products a go!

    www.littlekjf.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's horrible :( let me know how you get on! x

      Delete
  4. Hi Serena.I'm based in Dublin too and I was wondering where did you manage to get a hold of the Beauty Elixir and the Avene product. Is there a shop that sells them here or did you purchase them online? Really hope it's the former. Would love to purchase them in person than online. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya, Avene products are quite readily available now! Boots in Jervis Shopping centre stocks them as well as other larger Boots and many independent pharmacies stock them too - there's one on Camden street, and any of the Doc Morris chemists ive found sell Avene too! As for Caudalie I think Harvey Nics in Dundrum sells them but I got mine in a chemist in Rathgar if you know that area? I think they're the only stockists in Dublin though!

      Delete
  5. So many great products. There's so many things that I really want to give a go :')

    www.lifeasadaydreamer.blogspot.com

    -Emily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nothing here is really extortionately expensive so you should deffo give them a try if you get the chance! xx

      Delete
  6. omg i just finished my avene toner and it's the best toner ever! im currently using a lightening cream from avene:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried an Avene toner but I might try one when my Caudalie runs out! :) x

      Delete

please feel free to leave a comment as I would love your feedback! don't forget to check back for a reply! you can also contact me on twitter @serenaelliott