Wednesday, 18 July 2012

hot cloth cleansers



While the frenzy has died down around hot cloth cleanser in the beauty blogging and vlogging community, their popularity is still rife. Liz Earle's iconic Cleanse & Polish features in just about everyone's skincare routine with bloggers reluctant to talk about it 'in detail' for fear of repetition (don't worry, I am no different!)  I love a good hot cloth cleanser and it's my preferred method of evening cleansing so I thought I'd share three of my favourites and how I use them.

Hot cloth cleansers are so well received because they work for pretty much all skin types and are great multi-purpose products as they remove makeup, cleanse, give a gentle exfoliation (with the use of a hot muslin cloth - Liz Earle's are the best) and their creamy textures and nourishing ingredients also offer moisture to a dryer skin type. Hot cloth cleansers are my preferred method of evening cleansing; first I remove the bulk of my eye makeup with Bioderma or a similar makeup removal solution and then massage a euro coin sized amount of the hot cloth cleanser into dry skin. They dissolve away all traces of makeup (yes, even Double Wear!) and you can then buff away the cleanser with a muslin cloth which has been soaked in (comfortably) hot water. Most nights I even hold the hot cloth over my face for sixty seconds to really open my pores before I start buffing.




(L-R,  Boots Botanics Hot Cloth Cleansing Balm, Soap & Glory the Fab Pore Hot Cloth Cleanser, Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish Hot Cloth Cleanser.)

Hot Cloth Cleansing Balm, €13.49 for 70ml by Botanics, available from Boots stores: Unfortunately I never got to try and test the original formula (Megan has done a great post explaining the difference) in a way this works to my advantage as so many people are mourning the re-branding of cult Botanics cleanser. I love this cleanser and it even featured in my favourites. It's a really unusual formula and completely different to anything I've tried before which probably explains why I'm totally in awe of it. The formula is solid and reminds me of hair wax, but it starts to melt as soon as it comes into contact with the heat from your hands/face (as you might be able to see in the picture) which makes it really easy to work with. It claims to be 97% organic with nourishing rosehip and while, admittedly, the organic-ness of a product is not an attribute I'm too fussed about, I can attest to it's nourishing qualities. Some complain of the oily film it leaves on the skin but this doesn't bother me at all as I really slather on the moisturiser at night. My skin is slightly oily, I'd call it normal-combination but I'd rather be too oily than too dry so this is great for me, it acts as a sort of moisturising treatment on the nights I use it (every third night or so). It smells really nice and natural too, always a bonus!

Cleanse & Polish Hot Cloth Cleanser 100ml Starter Kit, €17 by Liz Earle, available here: This is probably number one most overexposed product in the online beauty community. It has a solid base of long-time, die-hard fans who have been using it for years and it is most frequently cited as being a great product for when you want to take your skincare routine 'back to basics' (as mentioned by Anna and Barbara). This is actually my first bottle of the iconic cleanser as it is generally only available online to Irish consumers, and after years of hearing about it, it hasn't disappointed! This is the main cleanser in my routine and I look forward to using it every night; it feels really smooth and luxurious and is great at removing makeup. Another worthwhile point is the customer service delivered by Liz Earle, delivery was speedy and I recieved no less than three of their fantastic muslin cloths with my order as well as a miniature sample size of Cleanse & Polish, samples of their Sheer Skin Tint (which Louise loves) and a ton of great brochures and leaflets about their products. Amazing considering all I bought was one bottle of cleanser!

The Fab Pore Hot Cloth Cleanser, €13.49 from Soap & Glory, available from Boots stores: This is a supposed dupe for the aforementioned Cleanse & Polish but for a better price and is more readily available to us on the Emerald Isle. It is very similar to Liz Earle's offering in everything from concept to consistency to scent. I do prefer Cleanse & Polish and I can't quite put my finger on why because this is a great product and they are very similar. I would definitely repurchase because of the differences in price and availability compared to Liz Earle. The formula is not quite as smooth and creamy as Cleanse & Polish and it is a little easier to massage into the skin as Liz Earle is thicker and so takes more time to break down. This is, perhaps obviously, my least favourite of the three cleansers I've mentioned but that doesn't mean that it doesn't deliver and I was perfectly happy using it before I discovered the other two! For a more in-depth review beaut.ie has done a great post!


Congratulations if you managed to read through my overly lengthy verdict on hot cloth cleansers. I appreciate any feedback, let me know if you've tried any of the products I've mentioned, if you love them or hate them or want to try them! Thanks for reading :) xx

10 comments:

  1. I absolutely adore your blog. The makeup is wonderful and I'll really love to try that out!

    Following u now via Goggle +. Follow me back if you like! ♥
    Say meow to me on:
    Miss Kwong: From Catwalk to Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only hot cloth cleanser i've ever tried is the infamous cleanse and polish - it works so well for me that I'm wary of trying anything else! It's nice to see what other alternatives there are though, and the balm cleanser sounds very intriguing x

    josieowen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i love it (if you couldn't tell haha) so try it if you can! :) thank you for the comment xx

      Delete
  3. i love anything soap and glory!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. same! all their products smell sooo good! xx

      Delete
  4. this was actually SO helpful!! i have never tried the liz earle despite all the hype it's got, but i really really want to try the boots botanics one... the fact that its a balm intrigues me soooo much, it sounds amazing! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is so so good, I think Boots have an offer on Botanics at the moment actually it might be 1/3 off everything from the range, I know the balm cleanser is only €8 here in Ireland at the moment, so definitely grab it if you can! Thanks so much for your lovely comment, I'm so in love with your blog I find it very inspiring xxx

      Delete
    2. definitely gonna get myself down to boots! that's the nicest thing to hear :) thankyou so much! keep up the good work with the blogging, your writing style is lovely & v. informative :) xx

      Delete
    3. sian your comments have made my week! thank you so so much xxxxx

      Delete

please feel free to leave a comment as I would love your feedback! don't forget to check back for a reply! you can also contact me on twitter @serenaelliott